Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happiness ever after

I was checking Facebook recently when I saw a wall post from one of my friends. I can’t remember the exact quote but I remember the line “Happily Ever After doesn’t have to be forever” or something close to that. I thought it was a very nice statement, both real and yet not sad. In my mind at least she was saying enjoy the moment, don’t worry that the good times won’t last.
To me it seemed a very adult way at looking at love and at life itself. We can struggle looking for that perfection, that Prince Charming or Snow White, or we can live life to its fullest with what we have. To many people toss aside wonderful relationships looking for a perfection that is ephemeral.
It was a more cheerful version of one of my favorite sayings. Happily Ever After has a very short shelf life. To me that’s two polar opposite ways of viewing the same thing. So much is transitory in life including true love. There’s the old song that says “When it’s love it will last forever.” That’s only true with your last love. We as humans have the capacity to find true love, see it shattered, only to find it all over again. We swear it was meant to be, and end up swearing affidavits or just swearing at each other.
The love that poets write about and balladeers croon too is pretty much fiction. If you doubt me just look at the personal lives of most of these people. Poets tend to be habitual womanizers, and if you want to know about the sensitive song writers just Google John Mayer and any of his former girlfriends. That eternal “true” love is something we all dream about, but are all to often rudely awoken. The truth, hard and cold, is that love is transitory.
I’m sure those currently in love would disagree with me. I’m just as sure that a year from now 50% of those people will no longer be in love with the same person. True Love has a horrible burn out rate. Just look at the divorce rate and the number of tattoo cover ups if you doubt me. True love isn’t something that happens, at least not with two people. It’s something that takes work, devotion and a thick skin. It is possible for one person to fall in love. Far to often this is the case and it is tragically sad.


read on here to page   http://socyberty.com/philosophy/happily-ever-after-for-a-moment/2/

No comments:

Post a Comment